If you happen to live in a place where the temperatures drop this time of year, and the snow starts falling, like I do, then you probably know all too well the joys that a warm, hearty meal brings. We all love comfort food don’t we?! Unfortunately, for many of us, the foods we typically know as comfort foods don’t always tend to be the healthiest foods. But who says comfort can’t be good for you too?
In addition to this recipe falling right into the healthy comfort food category, it also falls into the “my schedule is jam packed with holiday stuff that I need something super easy to cook” category. (Phew, that was a winded one!) Mix the ingredients, stuff the peppers, cook and enjoy – sure doesn’t get much healthier, comfier or easier than that!
- 1 ear corn on the cob (cooked and cut off cob),
- 3/4 cups black beans (drained and rinse)
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 6 bell peppers (stemmed and seeded)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, 1 lb ground turkey (cooked)
- 2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin, salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cups shredded pepper jack cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl combine turkey, quinoa, black beans, corn, tomatoes, 1/2 cup cheese, garlic and spices.
3. Fill the peppers with mixed ingredients and top with the remaining cheese. Be sure the peppers are in an oven safe dish that they cannot tip over in. Bake for about 25 minutes, or until the peppers are tender and the filling is heated all the way through.
Signed with Style,