A few weeks back I was invited to attend a great event hosted by SHAPE Magazine. (How cool right?! I felt pretty lucky!) The event was a gathering of Chicago bloggers, SHAPE editors and influential people in the health and fitness industry. It was a day full of uplifting messages, positive body image, empowering women, making new friends, healthy food and fun surprises around every corner. It’s really wonderful to sit in room with so many powerful women and talk about just positive things. In this world that we live in, I feel like that does not happen as often as it should.
Here are some takeaways from the event I wanted to share with you. I hope they will inspire you equally as much as they inspired me.
- The first thing I learned is that SHAPE isn’t a publication only about fitness. It’s a magazine about health, happiness, positive body image and living a lifestyle you love.
- I will aim LOVE MY SHAPE daily. Not only is this the magazine’s motto, but one of my new personal ones. We should all love the people we are, no matter what, and we should remind ourselves of that often.
- There is an emotional benefit from understanding how strong you and your body are. That will improve other relationships and parts of your life.
- Remember the 3 P’s. Perfection – no one has it, so shed the idea of it. Progress – actions lead to motivation. Potential – think about what you can accomplish.
- Instead of letting social media negatively affect your own body image, think of it as a way to enhance that image. With social media we can see such a wide range of people to look up to, not just so-called “perfect” actors and models we would see on TV years ago.
- You need to BE THE BOSS OF YOUR BODY. I need to remember that I can eat how I want and exercise how I want, and the only person I have to answer to is ME. (So that should hold me accountable more on cheat days, right? Let’s hope!)
- Positive thinking can, and will, impact your whole life.
- Don’t lead a “shouldy” life. No more, I should do this, I should do that. Do what you want to!
- Remember you will likely never find complete balance in your life. Find calm in the chaos and be okay with it.
Thank you SHAPE for having me! Also a big thanks to all of the wonderful editors and speakers for your great talks and the sponsors who made this day possible, and gave us this pretty amazing swag bag….loving all my fun new goodies.
Now I have a challenge for all of you women out there, and men too – take one item I shared with you and make it impact your life! And, pick up a copy of SHAPE and keep the positive vibes flowing.
Signed with Style,