It’s finally here – summer sunshine and warm weather! After over a year in the thick of a global pandemic, with a lot of time spent in quarantine, we are all anxious to have a summer that resembles the norm. That may be different for each and every one of you, but for me it includes as much time as possible in and around the water! I’m happy if that’s a pool, a lake, even a sprinkler. To be around said water, I like to be comfortable and able to move freely in my swimsuit, without things popping out place (you know you have worried about it too) but I also like to be stylish.
Luckily that’s not too hard to do. Swimwear is one of the most fun pieces of clothing. You’ve got bright colors, bold patterns, creative cutouts and unique designs for all shapes and sizes. And while that is true for both men and women’s swim, today, in this post we are focused on the ladies. I’m sharing my top 5 places to buy swimsuits. These brands are tried and true – ones I have have put to the test and absolutely love.
- Trina Turk: If I could only buy one brand of swimsuit for the rest of time, Trina Turk would be my choice. The patterns are always so bold and happy. The cuts of the suits are incredibly flattering and very unique. They maintain their color and shape well, even after days (and years) on end in sun and chlorine. [Tip: When you shower after being in the water, rinse your suit too. It will help maintain the coloring.] Trina’s suits are pricey, but worth every penny. They will last for years to come. They oftentimes have good sales, and sometimes have the last seasons patterns discounted. (The one I am wearing in the photo is a few seasons old. In a laundry list of Trina suits I own, I also have this one and this one, which are still available.) Sizing is true to the size you would wear in a dress or pants.
- Tommy Bahama: You think Tommy and you think tropical oasis. Their swimwear represents that and so much more! It’s always incredibly comfortable, classically cut and very versatile (they make a lot of reversible suits – so you get 2 for the price of 1). Their suits fit true to size and are a good price point for the great quality you’ll get.
- Victoria’s Secret: Most of their suits probably wouldn’t cover my pinky finger, let alone my whole body. Okay, they aren’t that bad, but many are way too skimpy for my comfort level. I don’t need push-up galore on top, nor do I need floss in my cheeks (and no, I am not talking about the cheeks that contain teeth). But, I do love their high-waisted bottoms! They fit snuggly, so they stay in place in all ranges of motion, but they are cut in a flattering shape, for women of all sizes. If you want full coverage, I would recommend sizing up. (My top in the photo below is Hula Honey.)
- Mare Blu: I love shopping for clothes in boutiques, especially when I am travelling. It’s a great way to find unique pieces that you don’t see in big box stores and won’t spot on all of your neighbors. It may seem odd to find cute swimsuits this way, but sometimes it does happen. That’s how I found Mare Blu! This suit had Saint Tropez on the tag and that could not be more accurate for this brand. The swimsuits evoke French Riviera and Mediterranean vibes. They offer classic cuts, timeless colors and patterns; you really can’t go wrong. The suits are well lined and sizing is true to fit.
- La Blanca: This company’s bread and butter is swimwear (although you may cut back on that before slipping into their beautiful suits!), so they know what they are doing. They offer gorgeous patterns, perfectly cut to fit bodies of all shapes and sizes. Their swimsuits are high quality and will not only last for years, they’ll never go out of style.
- Lilly Pulitzer: I love swimwear so much, I couldn’t pick just my top 5 brands, so I went with 6. And of course Lilly had to make the list! This brand epitomizes summer. Lilly’s designs just make me happy! With their whimsical patterns and pops of color, how could they not. Lilly’s swimwear is impeccably made and fits true to size. The pricing is high, but for swim I think it’s worth it, especially for a swimsuit that transcends generations.
You’re set for summer now, just don’t forget your sunscreen!
Signed with Style,