My how time flies! It feels like just yesterday I decided to open my laptop, tap the keys and create all that has become Sarah In Style. And here we are, 6 years later and another blogaversary in the books. The last 6 years have been incredible! This blog has given me a creative outlet, a passion project, a chance to share my voice (and my vision) with readers like you and the opportunity to work with many great brands. I remember feeling overwhelmed when I first thought about starting a blog, as I knew nothing about creating a website, but I am so glad the excitement outweighed the fear and I am thankful the creative juices have continued to flow all these years.
Whether this is the first post you’ve read, or you have read them all, thank you! From the bottom of my heart, it means the world to me. I will continue to share my advice, thoughts, tips and more to inspire you in the worlds of fashion, design, travel and much more. If there is anything you’d like to see, don’t hesitate to let me know.
In honor of 6 years blogging, I thought I would share the top 6 things I have learned along this journey, so far…in case you plan to venture down this blogging road.
- Do The Work: I knew I wanted to start a blog, but had no clue where to even begin? How do you create a website? Do I have to know coding? What kind of camera will I need? How much will it all cost? All of these questions (and more) went through my head before Sarah In Style came to be. I looked up blogging classes and found one through Dabble. I took a month long class on blogging basics. And yes, there was homework! My teacher, Beth was an invaluable resource. She actually went on to form the Wanderful travel community, and her, and her community continue to be a resource 6 years later.
- Keep It Simple: I took my blogging class a year before the blog went live. While I knew what I wanted to write about and the topics I would cover, picking a name that would encompass it all proved hard. I thought about it for almost a year before landing on something simple that truly fit what I was doing, showcasing my style when it came fashion, travel, design, food, etc. I try to have that simplicity carry over into each post too. There is a lot at our fingertips these days, and people want to read something that helps them escape, but not for too long!
- Find Your Niche: You can find a blog on anything and everything these days, which means a lot of people have them. Decide on what you want to write about and stick with it. Even if you are in a sea of many, your authentic voice will help you stand out.
- Have Passion: If you don’t have passion for something, you’re not likely to stick with it. This could be said of anything in life really, but has helped me greatly when I have felt overwhelmed in the world of the internet.
- Build Partnerships: While blogging is mostly a solo event, there are lots of times you’ll need, and want partnerships. As I got started I found a great community of fellow bloggers in Chicago. We would do working nights to help each other out technically, team up to take photos for one another and have fun social outings. They made the big world of blogging feel smaller! I also have developed great partnerships with many brands over the years and have loved working with them to share products I truly love with all of you.
- Have Fun: Similar to passion, if you don’t have fun while doing something, how likely is it you will stick with it? Sure, it’s not fun everyday (nothing is), but I remind myself why I started this blog and how happy I am when I am photographing a great travel destination, styling the perfect outfit, or writing, and then the FUN comes right back.
Signed with Style,