I’ve had to eat a gluten free diet since 2013 due to health reasons, and while I have completely adjusted to it now, there are still certain things I miss. One of those things would be cheesy breadsticks. Sure you could use gluten free flour to make breadsticks, but it’s not quite the same as the ooey-gooey breadsticks I remember. Since the gluten free option doesn’t taste like the real deal, why not opt for a healthier version, that still gives the impression of a traditional breadstick? Well, now you can do just that. Even if you don’t have to eat gluten free, these are a healthier alternative to a traditional breadstick too.
Not only are these a healthier option than a normal breadstick, they are also incredibly easy to make and require only 6 ingredients, all of which you probably have in your home right now.
Ingredients: 1 head of cauliflower, 1.5 cups of shredded cheese (Italian blend), garlic powder, oregano (or herb seasoning), salt and pepper.
Now I know it seems too good to be true with how easy these are to make, but I can beat that…they taste amazing! They really do remind me of those ooey-gooey cheesy breadsticks I remember, and miss from my pre-gluten free days. (I will say this as just a word of warning – they aren’t exactly like a breadstick, because remember they are made of cauliflower, but they are darn close.) Give them a try and let me know in the comments section below what you think. Hope you like them just as much as I do!
- You will want to first wash the cauliflower and then chop up the florets. You can discard the stems. In a food processor or blender, pulse just the cauliflower florets until they are the size of rice or smaller. (If you are using a blender, be sure it is a strong one. As you can see from my pictures above, I had to get a new one as the first stopped working on me.)
- Put the now rice sized cauliflower into a microwave safe bowl, cover with a lid and microwave for 10 minutes. Remove it and let it sit for a couple minutes.
- Now add 1 cup shredded cheese, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 2 tsp garlic powder and 1 tsp oregano (or similar herb spices) to the cauliflower and mix together.
- Preheat the overn to 425 F. Transfer the mixture to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or tinfoil. If using foil lightly (and I mean lightly, otherwise it will be greasy) spray with Pam. Using a spatula form the mixture into a rectangle and spread it very thin. It needs to be thin in order to cook all the way through and not have a potato consistency. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Don’t skimp on the time here, it needs the full amount to cook all the way through.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup shredded cheese over the top. Bake for 5 more minutes, or until the cheese starts to bubble and look golden brown.
- Slice into breadsticks and serve hot, with a side of marinara sauce. (Or if you are a ranch fanatic like me serve with ranch dressing!)
I adapted a recipe from a fellow blogger, revisfoodography.com. Feel free to do the same with mine listed above, just be sure to cook for the full amount of time, that is key.
Signed with Style,
2 thoughts on “Cheesy Veggie Breadsticks”
Lovely blog yoou have here
Thank you so much! Glad you enjoy it.